Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Fact or Fiction?

I found this story both sad and interesting. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081228/ap_on_re_us/books_holocaust_memoir

I guess this guy wrote a book that was supposedly pretty good (Oprah and others liked it anyway-- I haven't read it and I guess I won't get to read it). He sold it to a publisher as a memoir and it was discovered that it was in fact not a memoir but fiction. So, it's not going to be published and the publisher is demanding their money back and Jewish educators are up in arms, etc. etc.

They've all lost sight of a really important fact (at least I think it's a fact) and that is that the story was good ---Supposedly it was heart-warming, hopeful and hope-giving. None of that has changed really. So correct the dust jacket and inform the consumer it's fiction! Readers will still read it. The publisher will still make money. Perhaps even it will prompt more people to become educated in Jewish history so they will know where this book as gone astray from the facts.... Or better yet, have someone write a companion book correcting all the mistakes...

This could be just like several works of fiction that have had folks riled up for years (Dan Brown's book title escapes me presently)...

No comments:

Post a Comment