Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Are children's carseats really necessary?

Tonight I watched an interesting TED video featuring economist and author of one of my favorite read "Freakonomics",  Steven Levitt, asking "Are children's carseats necessary?" http://tinyurl.com/4tdhtw

Being the mother of three kids, the oldest of whom is 11, I've used car seats a fair bit.  Best Beloved and I have even discussed whether or not 7 year-old Krash needs to be in a booster of some kind still.  He's only 63 lbs but he's a whopping 4'8", plenty tall enough not to strangle in a regular seat belt especially when he's sitting in the very back seat of my Honda Odessey which rides a little higher than the regular seat.  

Princess Pink, now 4 and 38 lbs, rides in a booster with a 5 point restraint but after watching this video, I wish my van had the integrated booster seat that some other vans have.

I guess I will breath a little easier knowing that he numbers are in Krash's favor (he thinks he's way too big and too old to be seen riding around in a booster).

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment