Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Loss for words over co-worker's loss of baby.

 I say I'm at a  loss for words over my co-worker's loss of her baby today.  Actually I feel like I need to write about this because I just don't know what to do with the sadness.

Ana is a thirty-something woman I work with, who had a relatively uneventful pregnancy.  Her baby was due last Thursday and the doctor decided that if the baby wasn't born naturally by today, then she would have labor induced.  Ana and baby had a stress test yesterday in which the medical personnel check the baby's heart beat and the number kicks by the baby, etc. to make sure that everything was OK.  They also checked to be sure Ana was doing OK.  All was well and the labor induction was scheduled for today.

Ana had left a list of over 70 co-workers who were to be notified with all the specifics about the baby when the day's activities were closed.  Her manager, a thirty-something father of two very young children, had agreed to send what was expected to be the happy news about weights and measures.  Instead, he has the unhappy task of notifying the 70+ folks who were waiting for news from Ana that this morning the doctor found the baby had no heartbeat.    

A life ---  who is has been growing and thriving for 10 months, who was much anticipated by many, who was fine yesterday by all metrics available outside the womb --  is gone just like that.

When I heard the news, I was so sad I couldn't catch my breath for a moment. 

My heart goes out to Ana and her family.  I wish I could help syphon away the overwhelming pain and sadness she must be experiencing right now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment